Finding a reliable generator hookup service for your Myrtle Beach, SC home or business is crucial to the continuity and stability of the flow of electricity into your property. Even so, it is imperative you ensure the process is performed correctly, or you might end up spending a lot of unplanned money afterward. For many, generator hookup service is simply calling any Myrtle Beach, SC electrician to do the job, but the reality of it all is that there’s more to a generator hookup service than meets the eye, and it’s highly unlikely that you want to end up buying the wrong system, or even worse, putting your family at risk from carbon monoxide emissions or fire. As if that weren’t enough, by hiring the wrong contractor to provide generator installation service, you could even end up with a generator that is the wrong size, which can result in a lack of efficiency and the need for frequent repairs, which can lead to the loss of power for your most basic needs, which can lead to the loss of information, food, and even water, when you are unable to use your computer, refrigerator or water pump. All of these situations will create more stress than needed, which is why this article focuses on things you should consider before you invest in a generator hookup service that won’t perform the way it should.
How Can Mister Sparky Generators Benefit Your Home or Business?
One of the most important benefits Mister Sparky Generators can provide is to make sure you get the right generator for your home or business. When you don’t know anything about generators or how they work, you will very likely be confused by all the options available on the market, and you might end up wasting your money on something that is not even remotely close to what you require. At Mister Sparky Generators, our team of professional electricians has all the necessary knowledge and expertise to help you select the right generator, and then make sure they install it safely in your home or place of business. Our experts know what brands of generators are the most efficient and secure for your family, which is essential to the continuous flow of electricity into your home or business regardless of the reasons why your power went out, and because we know that the safety of your family and property are important to you, we will always do whatever is necessary to make sure they are not exposed to electrical fires or toxic gasses that could enter your home from an incorrect generator hookup service.
Important Information to Keep In Mind Before Installing a Generator
Installing a generator in your home can be an exciting time, especially if you live in an area that is prone to the loss of power for any reason at all. However, there are certain important factors you should keep in mind before your generator hookup service arrives to set you up with an efficient source of power, including the following:
- A generator should always be installed outdoors – If anybody ever tells you a generator is safe for indoor use, turn around and get away from them as quickly as possible. Using a generator indoors will place you and your family at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation, which is why you should always place a generator outdoors, at a distance of at least 20 feet away from your home. Doing so will ensure nobody is at risk for any of the potential hazards that could come from a malfunctioning generator, including those we mentioned previously.
- Beware of potential sources of fire – One of the most important considerations when storing fuel for your generator is that you must do so in the appropriate containers. Additionally, fuel should be stored as far away as possible from any possible source of fire, including other appliances that require other types of fuel to run, including your water heater. Not heeding this warning could result in a major fire that could put your life and property at risk.
- Make sure you install carbon monoxide detectors – Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that has become the leading cause in deaths by poisoning in the United States. Because generators can produce carbon monoxide when they malfunction or are used indoors, you should install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home in order to prevent any unwanted risks. Make sure to check and change the batteries regularly.
- Don’t get too close to a running generator – To avoid being burned or injured, never get closer than 3 feet from a running generator. Additionally, never leave objects that could catch fire near a generator at any time. Always allow your generator to cool down after use, to avoid overheating and potential damages.
- Update your generator’s extension cords – Frayed or damaged cords can reduce a generator’s efficiency while becoming a potential fire hazard, so have an electrician inspect your home’s wiring and extension cords before your generator hookup service begins.
- Maintenance is important – Because a malfunctioning generator can pose an enormous threat to your family’s well-being and property. In order to ensure it is always working appropriately and efficiently, it is necessary to provide a regular maintenance schedule at least once a year after your generator hookup service. Maintenance can determine whether anything is in need of service even before your generator malfunctions, which is why it’s essential to your generator’s functionality.
Don’t Get Left Out In the Dark, Call Mister Sparky Generators for Help
Installing a new generator in Myrtle Beach, SC can represent a very long list of benefits to your home or your business, one of the most important of which is having enough power to last even throughout the direct emergencies. Because of this, at Mister Sparky Generators we are always happy to help you find and install the best generator for your residential or commercial needs. So, don’t hesitate and call us for generator hookup service today!