Think About How You Use Electricity Then Think About Why You Need A Generator Hookup Service | Myrtle Beach, SC
Photo By JNemchinova at istock
The loss of electricity to your home or office means more than the loss of lighting. Here’s a list of what a power outage can do and why it’s a good idea to call your generator hookup service in Myrtle Beach, SC:
- No air conditioning in the summer. That means the temperature in your home is going to rise fast, which can cause problems for family members with sensitive conditions, your kids, and your pets.
- No heat in the winter. This could be a major issue, depending on the outside temperature. If it is below freezing, your water pipes can freeze and burst. Plus, you’ll be getting cold in your home.
- No sump pump. If you have a basement, you probably have a sump pump to prevent flooding. If your sump pump is out, you could be moving furniture and furnishings away from water.
- No water if you are using a well.
- No food storage. Your refrigerator and freezer will keep food for up to 24 hours if you don’t open the doors. If you do, you could be looking at hundreds of dollars in food spoilage.
- Medical Equipment. If someone in your family requires the use of medical equipment, you’ll need to make sure they have plenty of battery backup if they don’t have access to a generator. You’ll need to know which medical facility is available for them if power is out for an extended period. Investigate a medical alert program, as well.
- No internet, computer, television, and possibly no phone. You’ll lose your wi-fi connection and your television when the power goes out. Your computer and phone will last if their respective batteries remain charged.
- Your home security system likely has a battery backup for short outages. Check with your security company to learn how long your system will function without electricity.
- No lights, no appliances.
- Your home business will likely be shut down when the power goes out.
- When the power goes out to your place of business, you can have a wide range of issues, depending upon the type of business you are doing. What to do in a major power outage would be a good conversation to have with your generator hookup service in Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Watch out for power surges when electrical service is restored. These surges can damage items such as computers, televisions, your HVAC system, and about anything relying on electricity to function. Your generator hookup service can help here.
You won’t have to be concerned about any of these potential problems once you make a call to your generator hookup service. There are several generator options available.
The Types of Generators Available for Residential Use
There are two types of generators: portable and standby. There are several differences between the two types, and you should discuss your specific needs with your generator hookup service.
These can be the easiest homeowner option depending upon where you live. If your home is located within a city with underground utility lines, outside of a hurricane zone, then a portable generator could be a good choice. Portables are excellent for providing power for short periods of time, for several minutes to several hours, two to three times per year.
A plus for portable generators is that they are relatively easy to use. Simply wheel it out of your storage area and start it up. Of course, you must be at home to put them into use. A portable won’t do you any good if you’re not there to start it and hook up your appliances.
You’ll need to decide on the type of fuel you want to power your portable generator with the primary options being gasoline, diesel, and propane. Two facts to keep in mind about gasoline and diesel: one, you need a fresh supply to make sure the generator’s engine doesn’t get gummed up; two, either could be in short supply during a natural disaster. Another subject to discuss with your generator hookup service.
You’ll use extension cords to connect your appliances and electronics unless you have a manual transfer switch, which connects to your home’s main circuits. Your generator hookup service in Myrtle Beach, SC can provide you with more details. An advantage of having a manual transfer switch is that you won’t be dealing with extension cords and open doors or windows to get the cords to the generator.
Having a manual transfer switch doesn’t mean all of your appliances and electronics will run during the outage. That will depend upon the wattage output of your generator, and you’ll want to discuss this with your generator hookup service.
Safety is a major consideration when using a portable generator. It will be putting out carbon monoxide, meaning it will have to be outside your home, at least ten feet away from windows. Discuss this with your generator service.
A final note on portables: you will need to know the generator’s Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) if you plan on powering computers, smart televisions and refrigerators, and phone chargers. You will need a generator that has a THD value of less than 5%. THD is a measure of how clean the electricity is coming from a generator.
Standby generators eliminate the precautions associated with portable generators. Your generator hookup service has all the details. These provide emergency power to run your entire home for weeks at a time. They are usually powered by and connected to natural gas or propane lines, so you don’t have to watch their fuel level.
Standby generators use an automatic transfer switch connected to your home’s circuit board. When the power goes out, the switch activates the generator, and your home is fully powered.
Contact Mister Sparky Generators today to discuss the best power source for you.